Skip to main content

Yoga

Yoga, a physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India. The origins of yoga have been speculated to date back to pre-Vedic Indian traditions, but most likely developed around the 6th and 5th centuries BCE. The yoga practices were then spread throughout the world during the late 19th century and early 20th century by Yoga gurus following the success of Swami Vivekananda.


Indian traditions consider Yoga to be more than just a physical exercise, it has meditative and spiritual core. One of India's Tridev's, Lord Shiva is considered to be the earliest Yogi, so named as Adi-Yogi. He is also the first Yoga Guru Indian mythologies mention and thus also call him as Adi-Guru. Yoga, apart from being just a spiritual practice and daily exercise, is also a beneficial practice for improving many medical conditions a person might have.

Long term Yoga users have shown improvements in muscoskeletal and mental health. It has also been reported to improve mood and anxiety. With the betterment in lifestyles that are now proven with Yoga, it is one of the important things that we should do in our daily routine.

After Prime Minister Narendra Modi's suggestion to declare June 21st, the Summer Solstice, as the International Day of Yoga(IDY), UN did so on December 11, 2014. The 1st IDY was celebrated with whole nation doing Yoga while our PM Narendra Modi was doing with 35984 people on Rajpath, The largest Yoga class ever held and 83 other countries participating in the event. This event won 2 Guinness World Records.

Now Yoga has been included in everyday curriculum into the schools in India by Smriti Irani, HRD Minister of India. Let's make this effort made by our PM a success.


Vande Matharam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)

The Secret of the Nagas by: Amish Tripathi Rating: 4.2/5.0   Today, He is a God.  4000 years ago, He was just a man. The hunt is on. The sinister Naga warrior has killed his friend Brahaspati and now stalks his wife Sati. Shiva, the Tibetan immigrant who is the prophesied destroyer of evil, will not rest till he finds his demonic adversary. His vengeance and the path to evil will lead him to the door of the Nagas, the serpent people. Of that he is certain. The evidence of the malevolent rise of evil is everywhere. A kingdom is dying as it is held to ransom for a miracle drug. A crown prince is murdered. The Vasudevs Shivas philosopher guides betray his unquestioning faith as they take the aid of the dark side. Even the perfect empire, Meluha is riddled with a terrible secret in Maika, the city of births. Unknown to Shiva, a master puppeteer is playing a grand game. In a journey that will take him across the length and breadth of ancient India, Shiva...

A night at Sangam, Allahabad

I had a chance to go to outer part of Allahabad District few months ago. I was to live there and become a teacher for class 8 to 10 at a private school. This was a good opportunity for me as I always wanted a chance to live in Allahabad, though I did get to be in the main city itself. With this I also had a chance to visit the very famous 'Sangam'. I heard a lot of things about Sangam from being very peaceful to being absolutely marvelous. I found all of those to be very true. The only thing is that the people have Made the rivers go so low that Sangam has lost its strength that I so much heard about. I got to see it from the new bridge on the Sangam. Here are a few pics that I have clicked...